The Yad Mordechai Apiary was established in 1936, the year in which Kibbutz Yad Mordechai was initially established. The apiary was founded by the core group of settlers who founded the kibbutz. The pioneer members of Yad Mordechai waited about a year before first settling in a kibbutz called Mizpe Yam, near Netanya, where British and Australian regiments were stationed at the time. It was from these soldiers that the pioneers learned the tradition of honey production.
When the kibbutz community moved to its present location in southern Israel in 1943, honey became one of Yad Mordechai’s major industries. The Yad Mordechai Apiary started out with just a few hives. Today, there are several thousand. The Yad Mordechai Apiary specializes in the manufacture and marketing of natural honey products and is the Israeli market leader, with a share of around 60% of the honey market.
In 2003 the honey operation was acquired, along with the rights to the Yad Mordechai brand. The Company and the corporation owned by the kibbutz established Yad Mordechai – Elite. Since then, Yad Mordechai – Elite has expanded its operations to include olive oil and confitures.