Health and Products
The Strauss Group’s Health Policy
The three pillars of our health policy are:
1. Expansion of the portfolio of products with improved nutritional values in a wider variety of categories.
2. Marketing with an emphasis on health.
3. Reinforcing transparency and more prominent and clearer presentation of nutritional and health messages on products.
Our Products’ Contribution to a Healthy Lifestyle
In recent years, consumer awareness of the connection between nutrition and health has increased. In the past, the prevailing assumption was that there is a clear distinction between health products and enjoyable products. Today, consumers are looking for added nutritional value and proven effectiveness of the products even with products that are not defined as “health products”. Strauss’s continuing strategy is to develop products with added health value that are exciting and taste good while maintaining high quality. As a leading and socially responsible food company, Strauss meticulously remains abreast of the newest trends.
We continue to operate at two levels:
1. Product development and improvement: We have worked diligently on the development of new products that are rich in the best nutritional elements in a wider variety of categories and on the improvement of the nutritional composition of existing products. We are developing products that combine intelligent nutrition, both in the world of health and in the world of fun and indulgence, with the aim of enabling our consumers to choose products that will provide them with enjoyment at the same time as they help them maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
2. Marketing: We have emphasized the nutritional values and health aspects of products through packaging and our marketing campaigns, in the recognition of our consumers’ increasing awareness of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
A Selection of Our Activities at Strauss Israel
Milk and Dairy Products
Activia by Danone is a probiotic yogurt that was developed especially in order to assist digestion. During Activia’s development, Bifidus Actiregularis bacteria were added in addition to the regular bio bacteria. These bacteria are more stable and survive the digestive system, making Activia more than just a regular yogurt. This unique combination has been proven in medical studies to assist in shortening the slow passage time through the intestine and in digestion. Activia has won international recognition, and in January 2010, it was selected by Ad Age magazine as one of the ten products of the decade. 2010 saw the launch of the Activia whole grain cereal series, which was selected by consumers to win the 2011 Product of the Year prize in the white yogurt category.
Achla Salads with Tehina from Whole Grain Sesame
In 2010, we added introduced hummus with tehina made from whole grain sesame and launched a rich tehina salad from whole grain sesame. This followed the 2009 replacement of soy oil in all Achla salads with canola oil. This process enables consumers to continue enjoying the beloved and recognizable taste of the salads together with the nutritional and health benefits found in canola oil. We developed a recipe based on a unique composition of more hummus and tehina with a significant reduction in the amount of oil. The development enables a dramatic reduction in the percentage of oil in hummus, from 23% oil to 16% oil.
A Balanced, Fresh and Healthy Pasta Meal for the Family
In 2010, we added a symbol noting that the Pasta Meal meal does not contain preservatives. We removed the preservatives from our Pasta Meals series and emphasized eating a balanced meal on the packaging. Strauss’s pasta meal is rich in protein and calcium and provides a satisfying and healthy main course. The series includes a variety of fillings such as cheese and vegetables that children love. The meal contains protein values of between 9.5 and 12 grams, and calcium values of between 102 and 183 mg per 100 grams of prepared pasta, depending on the filling.
Health Snack Bars
The Energy brand has expanded its snack category for children and launched a new series of grain bars for children with corn flakes, rice crispies and milk cream with added vitamins, calcium and iron.
The World of Fun and Indulgence
Sweets treats constitute an integral part of children’s experience. As concerns relating to obesity have become more widespread together with the awareness of the need for controlled consumption, greater control over added ingredients in sweets and candies is necessary. In recent years, all Strauss Group’s products are made without trans fatty acids which do not occur naturally in foods*. This has been a particular technological challenge in categories such as chocolate and wafers where trans fats contribute to the texture and stability of the products. All Strauss Group’s products are manufactured without using artificial food coloring. This is a complex process, particularly in categories such as gumballs and chocolate dragees, which require a change in customer perception.
* Milk products and some oils naturally contain trans fatty acids. Following an internal initiative by the company in the last ten years, Strauss Group’s products are manufactured without the use of raw materials that contain unnatural trans fats.
Salty Snacks Department
Tapuchips Kids Potato Sticks is a baked potato snack without artificial food coloring, monosodium glutamate or additional preservatives. The product has a significantly improved nutritional profile in terms of the quantity of calories and fats compared to most other products in the same category. This product has achieved significant success and also complies with the strictest category of PepsiCo Worldwide as a “Better For You” product which, among salty snacks, is considered a significant achievement. In 2010, TapuChips Kids potato sticks product was developed and was selected by consumers for the Product of the Year Award for 2010.
And in the rest of the world…
Sabra strives to include flavors, cultures, eating customs and a variety of ingredients from around the world in the development of its products. Sabra is the leader in hummus and spreads in the USA. Sabra is developing a line of natural, low-fat Greek-style yogurt dips that provide a natural source of protein, calcium and vegetables.